I love summers. For me, they feel much more relaxed than the frenetic pace of normal life.
image credit: Creation Swap user http://creationswap.com/tgitt
They offer time to slow down, plan, dream, and…read.
For me, reading over the summer involves more fiction reading. Since it’s a season of relaxing and dreaming, fiction gives me a chance to think outside of my normal box and think creatively.
Not to mention that I love getting lost in a good story.
With that said, here’s my list.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6), by JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7), by JK Rowling
The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, by JRR Tolkien
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, by JRR Tolkien
The Great Gatsby, by F Scott Fitzgerald
Great Expectations , by Charles Dickens
The Life You’ve Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People, by John Ortberg
Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis
The Explicit Gospel, by Matt Chandler
Do the Work, by Steven Pressfield
What’s on your summer reading list?
The difficult part for me about putting out a reading list is that these are books I haven’t read before. So…don’t look at these books necessarily as the best books out there. They may be way off base with certain things. But I expect to be stretched.
Have you put your summer reading list together yet?
- Rework by Fried and Hansson
- Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit, Chan
- Reveal Where Are You?, Hawkins, Parkinson, Arnson
- Christ the Center (Harper’s Ministers Paperback Library), Bonhoeffer
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable, Yaconelli
- Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit), Driscoll & Breshears
- Simply Strategic Volunteers: Empowering People For Ministry, Morgan & Stevens
- Nine Keys to Effective Small Group Leadership: How Lay Leaders Can Establish Dynamic and Healthy Cells, Classes, or Teams, George
Raising a Modern-Day Knight: A Father’s Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood, Lewis
- Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential, Maxwell
- The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out, Manning
- Missional House Churches, Payne
- The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde, Stevenson