I read incessantly. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, according to Strengths Finder, I’m a “learner.” I enjoy the process of getting more information, uncovering new concepts, and learning from others.
And I do a lot of reading over the holidays as I’m sitting around, relaxing with family.
And when I read, I have to have certain things with me.
Essentials when I read
- Pen and paper. If I read, I’ve got to take notes. 90% of what I read is non-fiction, and I feel like I’m wasting my time if I don’t capture my thoughts through the book. And what I love about the Kindle is that I can take notes right on the device, and view them later at my personal Kindle page. (you can set yours up HERE)
- My computer. Not so that I can check emails and process my Excel spreadsheets…but because I want to interact with others as I read. I don’t have it open the whole time, but I like to have it handy so that I can process things out loud with a broader community, and read reactions from others who have read the book as well. If I don’t have my computer, my iPhone works well.
- Background noise. I can’t listen to music while I read (because my mind starts singing along), but I don’t like to read in a room all by myself. I like to have a bit of noise, of some sorts, in the background.
- Natural light. I much prefer natural to artificial light…which makes me just like 99% of humanity. Sitting outside, or by a window, is a prime reading spot for me.
- Coffee. This doesn’t even need an explanation.
The only problem I’ve got right now is that I’m reading so many books at once. Currently, here’s what’s on my Kindle and active:
- The Purple Cow, by Seth Godin
- The Next Christians, by Gabe Lyons
- The Me I Want to Be, by John Ortberg
- E-Myth Revisited, by Michael Gerber
- The Barbarian Way, by Erwin McManus
What are you reading right now?
What are your reading essentials?
Are the holidays a good time for you to read?